The cast of characters: 1 glass bowl once belonging to my deceased mother-in-law. A second, slightly smaller glass bowl, pressed glass, engraved, awarded to my husband by my his Masters Swim team. The 2nd bowl was slipped into the 1st bowl to make space. We tried everything to disengage them. FINALLY,
1. Mixed ice cubes and salt in the smaller bowl and filled with cold water to the rim. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Filled sink with hot water to the rim of the outer bowl. (Also put a towel in the bottom of the sink for protection.)
3. Squirted dish soap around the rim of the inner bowl.
4. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
5. Firm grip on inner bowl while slipping a thin knife blade in between the two bowls and continuing to work the inner bowl out.
MAGIC !!! They are now separated, never to be stacked together again.