Home : Health : Remedies : Poison ivy rash : Poison ivy use bleach
Poison ivy use bleach
Submitted by Chris
If you have been affected by poison ivy. Use a small amount of bleach and wipe it across affected area and it will dry up poison ivy.
The following was sent in by Uncle Bozzin
*** WARNING ***
If you are sensitive to chlorine bleach or very young, do -NOT- even consider
*** WARNING ***
Being very sensitive to Poisons Ivy & Oak, I have tried just about every shot,
spray, pill and cream that the doctors prescribe & pharmacy stocked.
Very few have had any effect other than lighten my wallet. Calamine just paints
you pink. The creams leave you greasy & make you drop your glass of iced tea.
Pills are as useful as candy except to pump up your steroids since your infected
layer of skin is dead. D-E-D, dead.
Rule #1: Use Cool Water. Not hot / scalding / warm water until well after the
2nd day. Get used to your teeth chattering and the color blue.
Rule #2: DILUTE IT - do not use straight bleach unless your tougher than nails.
Treated nails. Of titanium alloy. Coated with diamond oxide. I dab a cotton ball
with bleach to hit the small spots. The rest, I pour a quart in my cool bath &
soak it for 15-30 minutes, then rinse myself with more cool water to get rid of
Rule #3: Rinse & Repeat - Yup... do it again in a few hours. Use a bar of Ivory
soap this time. It is real soap - no perfumes, dyes, preservatives, brominated
Rule #4: Let's Get Ready to Rummb... SCREAM. - Oh me, oh my! If you are a
masochist, welcome to nirvana. For the rest of us merely weird mortals, it's
going to hit you like battery acid, well, as a base since chlorine bleach is
NaClO. If you have broken blisters, the pain is worse so don't scratch.
Rule #5: Wash all your clothing: shoes, pants, shirt, gloves, undies, socks,
hat, glasses, sweat bands, -everything- you wore because it may be contaminated;
in a mild solution of bleach & detergent. Twice. Third time is the charm.
Because the poison ivy oil (urushiol) is tougher than those diamond-coated
treated titanium nails and will outlive cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust.
After a few days, you'll notice your Poison Ivy / Oak will itch less and patches
will be shrinking. Keep up treatment as long as there is weeping or puffy
blisters. The pain of treatment will lessen noticeably, too.
If you redden after the 2nd day or the pain is unbearable, discontinue
treatment. This -is- a home / mountain remedy. I can guarantee nothing nor do I
accept / take blame for results. I am just passing on my 40+ years of
experiences. Good luck!